Sunday, July 4, 2010

Topkapı Sarayı (It's good to be the King)






The former residence of the Ottoman rulers is now set up as a museum, with pavilions full of various jewels, clothing, and other items belonging to some of the most famous Ottoman Sultans. The structure itself is also pretty amazing, with monumental gateways leading into a series of courtyards and pavilions with amazing views of the Bosphorus and modern Istanbul. Some parts of it were pretty packed with tourists, but the grounds were large enough that you could find spots to explore without too many other people in your way. I did meet one young Turkish girl with a tour group who was more than happy to practice my Turkish with me, at least until I mentioned Amanda! The conversation sort of dropped off after that. While it costs extra to visit the Harem, containing the private quarters of the women of the Ottoman household, it was definitely worth the extra fee. A series of passageways led to rooms for the Valide Sultan and the Courtyard of the Favorites and featured some pretty nicely decorated spots. I know I said earlier that I had my eyes on the house in Beypazari, but I'm now convinced that Topkapı is the place for me. I wonder what t

No comments:

Post a Comment